Friday, January 24, 2014

THE PRANK CALL

"Honey, it's for you." Carol said.

"Thanks sweetheart." Randy said. "Got it."

"Randy, I'm Hank Smitty, the athletic director at North Idaho College." He said.

I could hear Randy choke!

Actually, it was me, pretending that I was Hank Smitty.

Randy and I used to pull prank calls on each other all the time when we were high-school buddies. It was great fun!

"I trust that you've heard of us?" I asked, pretending to be the Athletic Director.

"I certainly have! The NIC is my favorite small college team in the area." Randy said, hoping to impress the athletic director. "Go Cardinals!!"

"And I absolutely love Coeur d'Alene!"

"We all do, don't we?" I said, busting a gut!

"Randy, after all these years, word is still out that you were the best defensive end on your high-school football team." Smitty said. "EVER!"

"And that you are superior in training young people."

This was so cool!! I knew that my buddy really believed he was talking to NIC!

"We believe you would be able to help us develop a much better DEFENSE than we have now." I said, pretending.

After a long pause, I could tell that my buddy was kinda stuck.

"Do you agree, Randy?" I caught him off guard.

"Well, uh." Randy took a long time to focus. "I try to." He choked out.

He tried to recover from sounding so stupid, but it was too late.

"Randy, we're tentatively offering you the position of "assistant defensive coach." Smitty said.

I could barely hear a "Carol, YES!" in the background and I knew he was doing a "thumbs up!"

"We'll arrange an all-expense-paid weekend in Coeur d'Alene, with your family, to see the sites and check out the area."  I said, trying really hard not to laugh.

"Then, you will have a week to work with the team to see if it starts coming together."

"Then we'll sit down and see if everyone wants to do this. If so, we'll discuss additional details and sign the papers."

"So what do you think so far, Randy?" I pretended.

"I'll tell you what I think!" Randy boomed.

 "No one in their right mind would make such a call!

This must be that INSANE George Anderton!

We both burst out laughing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment