Monday, March 24, 2014

GRANDMA'S BUNS

"Garge, won't you just have some of Grandma's buns?"

Asked Grandma in her southern Utah drawl.

"What the?" I immediately thought to myself.

I visualized freezer-burned, stale, dry buns that the devil himself would hate.

"No thanks, Grandma." I about died. "Maybe after a little while."

"Okay, Garge." she said, hurting inside. "Won't you just let Grandma know when you're ready."

"Sure thing, Grandma." I said politely.

I was confused because Grandma would never serve anything stale or freezer burned.

Grandma was such a warm, generous woman. She constantly served us home-grown farm meals, desserts, and snacks. Every time we visited, she gorged us the whole time. It hurt her feelings when we said that we just couldn't eat any more!

As I anticipated each trip, I reallyreally looked forward to her sweet rolls.

But for some reason, she didn't bring out any this time.

Darn!!

Then, when we were saying our final goodbyes, Grandma brought out a HUGE platter of sweet rolls, tons of napkins, and baggies.

She then asked: "Now, won't you just take some of Grandma's buns for your trip?"

"Absolutely, Grandma!" Stan said, excitedly. "Thank you so very much!"

"These are absolutely wonderful!" Said Peggy. "Hey guys, I get first dibs!"

"Rats!" I screamed to myself. "Grandma offered me fresh, delicious sweet rolls a week ago!"

 "I could have feasted on them, every day, if I only knew that Grandma called them:


"GRANDMA'S  BUNS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment